Friday, September 21, 2012

DIY Decorative Vases

I am an avid drinker of Snapple, specially Diet Peach flavor. I always felt bad buying the 6-pack case of Snapple bottles and once I got drinking them, just throwing away (or recycling!) perfectly good glass bottles. So I started saving (some might also say hoarding) them in my dorm room until I came up with the perfect use.
I kept seeing decorative vases becoming more and more popular to add a special touch to a room. However, there was one small problem. A lot of the vases I saw in magazines, online, etc...had more of a "older" look to them, although very beautiful, it would not go with a college girl's dorm room necessarily. I needed a bright color scheme, something fun and exciting! That's how I came about making my own vases. The best part is that you can personalize them for any room color scheme, holiday, season, whatever you want!



Supplies Needed:

-Yarn in the color of your choice (I suggest getting multiple colors)
-Hot glue gun
-Glass bottles (Snapple, wine bottles, etc.)
-Charms, beads, or other knick knacks that you want on your vases

Directions:
1. To start, put a small dot of hot glue at the top of the bottle right below where the lid screws on. Trying to wrap the yarn at the top where the spiral-y part can be very difficult and look uneven because the yarn doesn't lay flat. 

2. After the initial dot of hot glue at the beginning you do not need to keep gluing around the entire bottle. As you keep wrapping the yarn around the bottle, glue will most likely be needed when the bottle gets to the bend where it stops curving. Other than that, you will not need glue to the very end.

3. Keep wrapping the yarn around the bottle. Try to get it as close to the very bottom as possible. Add a final dot of glue at the end and you're set!

4. Now, to spice the vases up a little bit and add the charms. Really, there is an endless amount of ways to add charms, beads, or other embellishments. I added them by threading the yarn through my circles and straws and wrapping it around the bottle. Then I simply tied a knot in the back to keep it in place and voila!








No comments:

Post a Comment